If you finally want to be physically active, start now. There is no better time than now to get going. With this, it is crucial that you focus your energy in finding a safe health and fitness facility.
Fortunately, when it comes to finding health and fitness facility, there are a lot of options available out there. To make an informed decision, you should spend time researching. At the very least, a safe environment for exercise involves supervision by trained personnel.
To help you get started, here’s a quick guide to choosing health and fitness facilities:
Take a tour
Before you sign up, it is wise to shop around and visit many facilities. When taking a tour, you should not hesitate to ask questions. Consider the following factors when taking a tour:
- Reputation: a reputable facility operates in accordance with the standards developed by Fitness Australia. Verifying the reputation of a health and fitness facility is easy these days because you can read reviews. Bad reviews are difficult to hide so as much as possible, avoid facilities with a bad reputation.
- Equipment: another thing to consider is the range of equipment. Make sure that they have different equipment you want to use. While you are at it, check the equipment if they are clean and well maintained.
- Lockers: for your valuables, lockers should be present. However, you have to check how secure it is.
- Parking: if you are getting there through your car, make sure that there is an ample parking space so you do not get frustrated.
- Public transport: if you will not use a car, it is practical to check if the facility is close to public transport by either bus or train.
- Pre-exercise screening: if you have not exercised for a long time or if you have a chronic medical condition, the facility should conduct pre-exercise screening to assess your needs.
Check the location
When checking the location, you should consider the following factors:
- Proximity to your home or workplace: if you want your fitness routine to be a success, the facility’s location has to be convenient. It is understandable that if the facility is close to your home or workplace, you are more likely to go.
- Operating hours: another thing to consider is the facility’s operating hours. You should check opening and closing hours as well as timetables so you can decide whether or not you can attend activities based on timing.
Assess the support and staff
The facility should provide you with trained staff. The trained staff should have the appropriate training and education to perform their duties accordingly. Initially, check if the professional holds a current Fitness Australia registration.
Evaluate the atmosphere
You will likely enjoy the program if you love the atmosphere. This will serve as your motivation. You have to pay attention to details like the music played, the crowd, branding on display, overall cleanliness and many more.
After the initial check, you should not miss joining a class. You should get a sense of it and not rush things. It is better to take a class at times you intend to work out then quickly scan the crowd as well as the wait times for the equipment.