A dental hygienist works under dentist to provide oral health care to patients. College of dental hygienist in Ontario teaches about this profession in much advance manner. The scope of work of a dental hygienist varies on the basis of location, skills and many other factors. However, there are numerous career options once you become a dental hygienist.
To understand the dental hygienist profession in brief, you can go through the below-mentioned information.
About the Job
- performs dental hygiene treatment and preliminary examination on patients
- Provides various information to the patients related to teeth disorders and diseases and advise them about prevention methods.
- Educates patient on office procedures and treatments
- Evaluates overall oral health
- Examines oral cavity to check for periodontal disease
- Maintain stocks and equipment
Dental Hygienist Courses
College of dental hygienist in Ontario which is an accredited dental hygiene school provides a degree in this field. You get an associate degree, a certificate, a bachelor’s degree, or a master’s degree to work in this area. Also, the license is a must.
- Compassion: To work in this occupation, you need a desire to help patients.
- Motor Skills: It is required to learn instruments and their working.
- Interpersonal Skills: To understand the patient’s need and reassure when they are uncomfortable, this skill is required.
- Taking care of details like noticing stains while treating patients.
What Employers expect From You?
Dental practitioners expect that you have a good team player skill. Also, you should have the confidence of working with new technologies and a pass out from a good College of Dental Hygienist in Ontario.
Professionals work for 32–40 hours per week. Also, you get the option to work part-time. Mostly the offices are clean and well maintained. You may also have to visit rural or remote areas.
Licenses for Dental Hygienists
Once you get a degree from the College of Dental Hygienist in Ontario, next you need is license. Every state has a different license requirement. State’s Board of Dental Examiners can guide you with the same.
Dental Hygienist Salaries
The median annual wage for any dental hygienists is $72,910. It falls in the range of $50,870, to $100,170.
Job Outlook and Prospects for Dental Hygienists
Employment of dental hygienists is projected to grow up to 20 percent over the next ten years. After passing from the College of Dental Hygienist in Ontario, you can get great career options.
Due to increase in population, effective state laws, demand of dental hygienists is expected to grow. Also along with this the number of new graduates from dental hygiene programs also has increased, which results in more competition for jobs. For people in rural areas, job prospects are high.
Careers Related to Dental Hygienists
Dental assistants perform many tasks, from providing patient care to recordkeeping and scheduling appointments.
Dentists diagnose and treat problems with patients’ teeth, gums, and oral treatment. They give instructions on taking care of the teeth and gums and on diet choices that affect oral health after the treatment is done.