- COMMON DEFINITION
Drugs used for improving performance of a person while carrying out any type of task or activity are called Performance enhancing Drugs (PED). Such drugs are used by military personnel to improve battlefield performance, students use them to enhance academic growth and are commonly used by athletes which is also known as doping in sports. These drugs are also known as steroids, they help to keep the body muscles firm and strong which help to keep up with hard and long sessions of workout.
- COMMONLY USED DRUGS:
- Testosterone: it is an anabolic steroid that increases muscle mass and energy level.
- Boldenone: helps to increase red blood cells which results in more oxygen levels also builds muscle mass.
- Vicodin: it is known as a performance enhancer.
- OxyContin: it is a type of pain killer.
- Albuterol: it allows more air flow through the lungs.
- Propranolol: it is used by athletes who need strong nerves, steady hands and a calm mind. These are mainly used by golf players and gymnasts.
- Improving working performance.
- Loss of excess fat and weight.
- Fast Muscle growth and damage recovery.
- Increases oxygen level in body.
- Improves mental alertness.
- Increases stamina.
- Are also used to treat various diseases and allergies.
- Some help to reduce fatigue.
- Causes liver damage, kidney failure.
- Results in some types of cancer.
- Causes hypertension.
- Changed rate of heartbeat, heart attack.
- Leads to aggressive, psychotic and antisocial behavior.
- Causes vomiting, baldness, depression.
- Causes change in hormones, stunt growth.
- Can cause death.
Sports enhancing drugs are used by athletes and bodybuilders to improve physical appearance and stamina. These drugs improve their daily workout time. Use of such drugs in sports is banned as they violate “spirit of sport”. Players can use legal performance enhancers but they too have limits for consumption. If players are found to be using such drugs, they can be disqualified or also banned from playing for a certain time period. Performance enhancers increase a player’s winning chance and so are more popular. Some players try to hide their drug use by various methods so that they don’t get caught in any examinations.
People are demanding legalization of such drugs or else having different teams of naturally strong players and chemically grown to play differently. If a person doesn’t take their daily dose of drugs it can lead to different behavior. This leads to suicidal deaths and depression. Even if they may legalize such drugs, people may increase their daily dosage and this can also lead to death and depression. If a coach provides such drugs under legal terms in smaller amount it is acceptable, but the intake should be as prescribed by the physician. There are various laws regarding the use of such drugs and they should be followed by everyone.
Players like Dwain Chambers, Marion Jones, Lance Armstrong, Justin Gatlin, etc; have been banned from playing sports for a year or more and some are also banned for lifetime. Players should practice natural ways to increase their energy levels instead of such illegal methods. If the use of drugs is extremely necessary, then first it should be checked whether the drug is legal and doesn’t have any major side effects.