We all know how important exercise is to staying healthy. Our bodies are complex yet sometimes fragile machines that need looking after to function properly. Regular workouts are a great way to achieve this and make sure that you remain in tip-top shape. This is especially true as you get older, where years of use can otherwise have a negative impact on your body.
Recent findings by the National Institute of Health even discovered that 150 minutes of moderate exercise per week could add over three years to a person’s life expectancy! All this has seen memberships to gyms rocket in recent times. In the US alone, it was found that over 60 million citizens had joined health clubs last year. This is a common theme across the planet, where people are working out to get fitter.
One key thing worth remembering though is that you must workout sensibly.
Why is it so key to workout carefully?
Although working out is good for you, as with anything in life, you must do it in a sensible manner. This will not only deliver the best results but also keep you safe along with anyone else who is there at the same time
Here are a few specific reasons to be careful the next time you hit the gym or workout at home:
- Avoid injury –working out is meant to make you stronger and help you stay in shape. This will only happen if you workout carefully. Not taking your time and being sensible in what you try will only lead to injury and time spent recovering. Common mistakes that people make involve things such as trying to lift weights that are too heavy for them or over-straining when performing a movement.
- Protect others –as noted above, it is not only yourself who you need to protect by working out sensibly. At home or at the gym, there may be other people around who could be injured by your actions. Next time your gym buddy wants that dumbbell passed over, don’t throw it and risk hitting someone on the head! Always be careful and take into account others when exercising.
- Keep equipment in good condition –another fine reason to be careful when exercising is that it will look after the equipment you use. This is important as it will keep it nice for other people to enjoy and avoid you or the gym having the expense of needing to replace it. Always make sure that you handle the equipment in the correct manner and with respect to keep it as it should be.
- Stop rushing exercises –one very common mistake that people make when not working out carefully is rushing exercises. If you perform them too fast, then you can make them ineffective by not doing them properly. Speeding up what you do can also risk muscle pulls or tears. Take your time to do your workout carefully, and do not overstretch or overexert yourself when powering through it
- Ensure that you get the right workout for you –although you may think that any exercise is good to do, a lot depends on what you want to achieve with it. The right workout plan for a 60-year-old who merely wants to stay active is very different from an Olympic rower in serious training. By being careful about your workout, you can plan properly to get the right schedule for your goals.
What about compression wear?
You may have heard about the latest compression wear and the popular brand Tommie Copper in particular. This type of special clothing is used by many people who exercise now for the comfort and style that it gives. Compression wear supports the body when exercising and helps it to recover afterwards so that you feel less stiffness or soreness. By using this sort of gear, you are doing all you can to exercise in the most careful and effective way.
How do you exercise carefully?
We have looked at the reasons why it makes sense and how the right clothing can help, but how do you workout carefully when completing your session? The best thing to do is listen to your body and don’t go too hard when performing any movements. Although you want to make your body work and raise your heartbeat a little, you do not want to go too far. If you feel any pain or discomfort, then the best thing to do is stop right away. If you do this and you are aware of anyone around you who you need to pay attention to, then you will be well on the way to working out in the best manner possible.