Smooth and flawless skin like your favorite actor in the daily soap shows! You go to sleep with this thought in mind. And guess what welcomes you in the mirror the next morning? Tiny acne on your dimple. Gradually, this acne grows in number and so does your worry. When your better half compared you to the full moon, he/she is not wrong. Because now your face literally looks like the crater surface of the moon. But don’t hit the panic button just yet. Before you learn to treat acne, let’s understand the science behind it!
Too much of everything is bad:
Your skin is naturally coated with wax or sebum that is secreted from the sebaceous glands. There is also another advantage of this oil slick. It cleanses the body of dead skin cells and pollutants that accumulate over the day. Trouble calls when the production of both crosses a threshold limit. This is when they cause a soft plug around the hair follicles. For bacteria, it is an open season! So what causes this extra secretion and ‘misery’ for you. Here is why:
- Hormones like Androgen go crazy during puberty. This causes a higher production of sebum and dead skin cells.
- Oral contraceptives also accelerate sebum production
- High carb and sugar diet such as ice creams, an excess of dairy products
Types of acne:
Acne can be divided into two categories. They are:
- Whiteheads and blackheads characterize Non-inflammatory acne
- Inflammatory acne is really painful ones. They appear as red bumps on the skin surface and have pus accumulated at the tips. If there is excess blockage of the hair follicles, these bumps are formed below the surface of the skin. They are also painful and tender
How you beat acne:
Acne happens to all. What matters is how do you tackle it. These Ayurvedic measures will help you to turn the tide; you can click over the link to learn more:
- Usage of turmeric is encouraged. It has anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory and fungus resistant
- Regular consumption of licoricey daily helps to reverse the production of sebum and hence no pimples
- Neem leaves go a long way in revitalizing your skin. It kills all acne forming bacteria and help the skin start afresh
- Triphala spice administered with lukewarm water at night before bedtime helps to flush the toxins out of the body. No toxins, no acne!