Much like women, men are also conscious about how they look. While many men undergo small cosmetic surgeries like rhinoplasty or getting Botox, some of them also go for big cosmetic surgeries, like male breast reduction surgery.
Gynecomastia is a condition where a man has enlarged male breasts. This condition can severely affect a man’s confidence, and for this very reason, male breast reduction surgery came into being. Gynecomastia surgery is a surgical procedure where the surgical correction of enlarged and overdeveloped breasts in men is done in order to enhance the patient’s appearance. For better confidence, a man can easily go for gynecomastia surgery in India.
Here are some quick facts about male breast reduction surgery:
- Age group
Gynecomastia is a condition that can affect men of any age group. Additionally, breast enlargement can also occur due to a variety of factors, such as medications, genetic factors, hormonal changes, and many more. With that said, adult men as well as teens can undergo breast reduction surgery.
- The surgical process
Gynecomastia occurs due to glandular tissue development or extra fat. In a breast reduction surgery, the removal of glandular tissue and excess fat is done so as to create more masculine and firm chest contour. In some cases, liposuction may also be performed in conjunction with breast reduction.
Although there are long-term results to be gained with this surgery, some external factors may have an effect on the results. Therefore, if the patient does not want gynecomastia to come back, he should ensure that he lives a healthy lifestyle and takes proper supplements and medications.
The risks related to male breast reduction surgery include:
- Asymmetrical breasts
- Blood clotting
- Changes in the nipple
- Asymmetrical breast contour
- Suitability for surgery
A person will be considered as a suitable candidate for male breast reduction surgery when:
- His condition is not getting better by undergoing alternate medical treatments.
- He is a healthy individual and doesn’t have any medical conditions that are life-threatening or possess a potential to hinder healing.
- He does not use drugs or smokes.
- His outlook is positive and he has certain goals for improving gynecomastia’s physical symptoms.
- He has a normal weight.
- He has realistic expectations regarding the surgery.
- He has a stable breast development (happens usually above 18 years of age).
- Proper preparations to be made before surgery
To ensure that surgery goes smoothly, you have to do some preparations beforehand. Before the procedure takes place, do the following:
- Do not sit in tanning beds or under the sun for prolonged periods of time.
- Stop smoking and do not use products that have nicotine in them.
- Do not take blood thinners (which include vitamins and minerals that lead to blood thinning).
- Do not consume medications that interfere with the blood clotting process.
- Take leave from work.
- In case you feel unwell before the surgery, call up your doctor and ask him for rescheduling the surgery.
- Make the necessary ride arrangements to get to the hospital and back.
- Get the surgery chest compression garments and do check whether they fit.
- Gynecomastia surgery recovery
When a person undergoes gynecomastia surgery, the recovery usually takes between 5 to 10 days. This period will be when you would have to wear the prescribed support garments and bandages that will contribute to the healing process. Also, a thin little tube may be placed under the skin on a temporary basis. This is done to drain out fluids or excess blood. The person may also feel tenderness and discomfort in the chest area.
If you are considering gynecomastia surgery, you can book a consultation with a surgeon who does gynecomastia surgery in India to see your eligibility, and to clear any doubts you may have.